Saturday, April 29, 2023

Inaugural Barbecue Competition in Pinehurst, NC

Historic hangars were part of the scenery for the event.

Finally, a barbecue contest about ten minutes from my home! For years, I have been traveling several hundred miles for the enjoyment of judging at events sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society. Less than a third have been within a few hours of my home in North Carolina. Most have required overnight stays near the location of the contest, particularly when I have judged at events in Florida, Minnesota, Missouri, and New York.

Judges met in a conference room at the airport.

Smokin' in the Pines


Traveling to events is fun and often takes me to places that I wouldn’t ordinarily visit. I never thought that judging in my hometown would be possible and was surprised when KCBS announced plans for the inaugural Smokin’ in the Pines in Pinehurst, NC. The contest site at the county airport is less than seven miles from my home. 

Cooking teams set up on the airport tarmac near parked aircraft.

I immediately applied to judge. Because Bob Johanns, the contest organizer, confirmed early that I would participate, I was able to look forward to this contest several weeks in advance. In the event, 24 teams competed for the $15,000 in prize money, a sizeable sum for an inaugural event. One Eyed Pig BBQ from South Carolina was the grand champion. Placing in second and capturing reserve grand champions honors was Redneck Scientific.

Bob Johanns, contest organizer, with Doug Reid and Alan Rockroth, KCBS representatives. Photo: Smokin' in the Pines via Facebook.

First Tee—Sandhills


Typical for many KCBS contests, this event raised funds for a charity relevant to the local community. Pinehurst is known for its golf culture, and proceeds from the contest benefited First Tee—Sandhills, a youth development organization that empowers kids and teens through the game of golf. It creates learning experiences that build their inner strength, self-confidence, and resilience through its junior golf programs. 

Joe Frye and his band entertain the crowd.

A large crowd enjoyed the music, other entertainment, and being part of the scene with barbecue as its main focus. Because this year’s Smokin’ in the Pines was so successful, the organizers should bring it back again next year, and I hope can participate. The easy drive was just what I needed.

Prizes before being presented to the winners at the award ceremony. Photo: Smokin' in the Pines via Facebook.

Grand champion was the One Eyed Pig BBQ Team. Photo: Smokin' in the Pines via Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment