Saturday, September 8, 2018

First Love at “Historic” Ralph's in Weldon, NC

I can’t remember when I had my first taste of barbecue, but I can remember when I selected a pitmaster for my personal Hall of Fame. Anyone willing to travel out-of-state to bring chopped pork barbecue, Brunswick stew, coleslaw and hushpuppies to deprived, lonesome souls homesick for North Carolina foods and flavors deserves special recognition. Thus I humbly acknowledge my appreciation for Ralph’s Barbecue of Weldon, NC

A very tall sign lets you know when you are getting close to Ralph's.

A career in the Air Force took me to distant places less than a week after I had graduated from college. Little did I realize how much I would miss Southern foods. Several years later, when I was living in a suburb of Washington, DC, I attended a college alumni event where lunch with N.C. food was part of the program. Although I went out of allegiance for the ol’ college, lingering at the food table became more important than listening to the speakers, and I kept going back for seconds. At that summer Saturday in 1983, I implanted the name of Ralph’s in my memory and was determined to visit its location when I was back in North Carolina. First, I had to find Weldon, a town I hadn’t known before, just south of the border with Virginia.

Since 1952, Ralph's has been in this location, although a dining room expansion now seats 180 people.

Although east of I-95 (even if by only a few yards) where the whole hog tradition is dominant in the state, Ralph’s makes barbecue daily using only pork shoulders (as used in the Lexington style, although Ralph’s is definitely far removed from Lexington). The vinegary flavor of Ralph’s barbecue, however, confirms that you are in Eastern North Carolina, not in Lexington where the ketchup flavor is so pronounced.

The chopped barbecue and Brunswick stew pans on the buffet are popular spots.

The business was started in 1941 and moved to its current location in 1952. The third generation of founder Ralph Woodruff now manages the operations and continues the unbroken traditions of their grandfather, including how he made barbecue. Brunswick stew, always a favorite as it was in 1983 when I enjoyed Ralph’s stew for the first time, is still made using a recipe that dates back to 70 years ago.

Another large section on the buffet station is ready for hungry customers.

Chicken (fried, baked, or BBQ) seems to be as popular as the pork barbecue (pulled or chopped). All dinners are served with Brunswick stew and a choice of two sides, which are numerous. Although a full menu is available, most customers make a beeline for the buffet, which is plentiful. Everything that I want — barbecue, Brunswick stew, coleslaw, collards, hushpuppies, banana budding, and maybe one or two more items, such sweet potato pie — is on the buffet, so why even look at the menu?

Banana pudding (baked!) is the best and most popular dessert.

 After I was first introduced to Ralph’s, I stop when I am traveling in the area. If I haven’t arrived at a meal time or don’t have time to stop and eat, I always take home large quantities of my favorites to remind me of Ralph’s goodness for many days. When my son is travelling on I-95, he makes a quick detour to Ralph’s and brings me some Ralph’s fixin’s as a surprise.

The take-out window is always busy.
Sides are available as take-out too.













Although Ralph’s is not a destination on the North Carolina Historic BBQ Trail, it’s a place that I have appreciated for more than 30 years. I can’t think of another restaurant (barbecue or other) that I’ve appreciated for that long a time, so to me Ralph’s is definitely historic. Plus any restaurant that uses a 70-year-old recipe for Brunswick stew is certainly legendary.

No comments:

Post a Comment